Warriors Fall 3-2 in Shootout to Mudbugs

SHREVEPORT, LA – The Wichita Falls Warriors (17-9-1-4) were on the road again on Saturday night for game two of a three game weekend series with the Shreveport Mudbugs (22-6-2-2).  The Warriors dropped the first game 7-3 and were looking to even up the series.

The first period was a goaltending show as Wichita Falls goaltender Ryan Ullan and Shreveport goaltender Cole Hudson got the start on Saturday night and they each put on a show.  The two kept the first period scoreless trading save after save.  The Warriors would put some pressure on Hudson but would be unable to find the back of the net and they would head to the second period in a scoreless tie.

In the last 12 games, the Warriors have scored first 10 times but that would change on Saturday.  The Mudbugs would strike first this time and take a 1-0 lead 1:32 into the second period.  The Warriors would have a few power plays but would go 0/2 on the man advantage in the period and would have the third power play carry over to the third period with an opportunity to tie the game.  The Warriors outshot the Mudbugs 11-8 in the second but would trail 1-0 after 40 minutes.

The Warriors were unable to take advantage on the power play that carried.  Instead, it was the Mudbugs who extended their lead to 2-0 5:55 into the third.  However, the Warriors would have another crack at the power play and would capitalize as Jackson Salt (6) would put the Warriors on the board 8:34 in and cut the deficit down to one goal at 2-1.  Wichita Falls would continue to fight back to find the tying goal, making Hudson make some big stops.  The Warriors continued fight back would pay off as Thomas Weis (13) scored his team leading goal on a rebound and tied the game 2-2 in the late stages of the third.  The Warriors would outshoot Shreveport 16-9 in the third but would not find the back of the net a third time and the game would go into overtime earning the Warriors a point on the night.

In overtime, the Warriors came out fast and had two quick chances on net including an shot off the post by Carter Korpi.  Then, the Warriors took a penalty and had to kill off a 4-on-3 in the middle of the overtime period.  The Mudbugs would get a breakaway on the man advantage but Ullan came up with a huge left-leg pad save to rob the Mudbug opportunity and get the game to a shootout.

In the shootout, the Warriors would score first, as Weis would score right away in the opening round.  The Mudbugs would match the goal and we would go into the extra rounds where Alex Walker gave the Warriors the advantage once again.  Ullan would make save after save as the rounds continued but with the Warriors unable to find the back of the net, the Mudbugs had the opportunity to win it late as Mason McCormick scored in the 10th round of the shootout to give the Mudbugs the 3-2 win and two points on the night.

Ryan Ullan (3-3-0-2) recorded the loss for Wichita Falls.  He recorded 22 saves on 24 shots faced.  Cole Hudson (13-4-2-1) recorded the win for Shreveport.  He recorded 23 saves on 25 shots faced.

Next up, the Warriors finish the weekend series with the Mudbugs Sunday afternoon at 2:11 PM.